Commercial Pool Service
Hundreds of large commercial swimming pools throughout the Chicago area and southern Wisconsin depend upon Downes Swimming Pool Company to maintain the functionality and cleanliness of their pools. Service is a full half of our business! Please call us – we will create a service plan custom tailored to your needs, be they daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal, or yearly maintenance.
Our experienced and responsible crews are trained and retrained yearly on all the newest developments, technologies, and laws concerning commercial pools. We are experts on the Virginia Graeme Baker Act and have been updating pools to meet these regulations for the past year. Call us if you have needs or questions in that regard. Also, please click on the separate link to the Virginia Graeme Baker Act.
Downes offers regular maintenance and 24-hour emergency service…whatever you need when you need it. We have been a trusted resource for commercial needs since 1974. We look forward to working with you soon.
Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act
December 1, 2009
Reference: New Federal Mandates / Anti-entrapment Devices
On 12/19/2007 the Federal Government signed into law a mandate that requires all Public pools and spas to be equipped with anti-entrapment devices by 12/19/2008. Specifically, the legislation requires that pools be equipped with drain covers that conform
to the entrapment protection standards of the ASME/ANSI A112.19.8.
In addition, any pool with a single main drain must be equipped with one or more of the
following anti-entrapment devices or system:
1. Safety Vacuum Release System & Suction Limiting Vent System –“Vac-Alert” Model VA-2000 SVRS $695.0 Plus Labor & Tax, custom installation required depending on pipe size.
2. Unblockable Drain – Drain Sump Grate larger than 18”x 23” with corners having a 4 “ radius or channel drains with minimum open area 3” wide x 31” long any sizeor shape that the human body cannot sufficiently block.
3. Gravity Drainage System – VEC sand or D.E. pits comply with mandate. Circulation system NOT connected directly to the pump, open to atmosphere.
4. Automatic Pump Shut-off System – “StingL” Model SR-500 - $890.00 Plus Labor & Tax, custom installation required depending on pump control unit.
5. Drain Disablement System – Main drain: permanently disconnected from pump or re-plumbed to be a return line with no switchable valve, or plugged and filled with concrete.
6. Suction Limiting Vent System: A vent pipe tied-in to suction pipe
NOTE: Grates are available to retro-fit most pools.
Most of the above items require an IDPH permit, this process may take months to obtain. An aquatic architect or engineer is required to draw plans. We have brought hundreds of pools into compliance, let us help you.
Please call to learn more on how we may assist you to comply with this new Federal Mandate. Please contact us now so the local health inspector’s do NOT close your pool down for failure to become compliant.
To download information regarding Federal Mandate please visit: www.apsp.org
Jeffrey N. Lockwood
Director of Commercial Operations